Ravager Spirits
Grimoire of Lost Souls

Summoning Ravager Spirits

Most often, ravager spirits are summoned by accident. A few insane binders can, however, perform a special ceremony in order to call a ravager spirit in order to attempt to seal a pact.

Ceremony Gone Awry

A misspoken word, a smeared chalk line, or a mishap with a ceremony can all spell catastrophe for a binder, as a ravager spirit can be summoned in the intended spirit’s place. If a binder fails a binding check by 10 or more, there is a chance that a ravager-blighted zone manifests, centered on the binder. This chance is equal to 10% per level of the spirit, to a maximum chance of 90%.

Ravager-Blighted Zone (CR 9)

XP 6,400
CE persistent haunt (5 ft. by 5 ft. area suitable for drawing a seal)
Caster Level 5th
Notice Perception DC 25 (to notice the soft echo of forlorn spirits)
hp 40; Trigger proximity; Reset 1 minute
Effect When this haunt is triggered, a ravager spirit manifests, as detailed in the spirit’s summoning rules. On its initiative, ravager spirit attempts to possess the creature that triggered the haunt; in order to possess the target, it must succeed on a melee touch attack with a +9 bonus. If it hits the target, the creature becomes possessed unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Will save.
Destruction In order to destroy a ravager-blighted zone, the Sign of the Ravager must be drawn in holy water in the haunt’s area before remove malady† is cast upon it, using the haunt’s caster level to determine the spell’s DC as though the haunt were a curse.

Pact Malady

Environmental conditions, the bestow malady† spell, and other effects can cause terrible afflictions using occult forces, and any effect that causes a pact malady can attract the attention of a ravager spirit. If a character rolls a natural 1 on a saving throw against a pact malady, there is a 50% chance that a ravager-blighted zone will manifest centered on the character in addition to the pact malady’s usual effects.


Although ill-advised, a generic ceremony exists that can be used to summon a ravager spirit. Like any other bindable spirit, ravager spirits possess Knowledge Tasks, which must be completed before they can be summoned. A ravager spirit has no spirit level, and as a result the DC to complete a ravager spirit’s Knowledge Tasks is 25.


Ravager spirits are attracted to locations that are rich with occult energy. Typically, this happens when many binders converge in a single location, such as in pactmaking communities or covens, or when another binder causes a ravager-blighted zone to manifest and abandons it without destroying the haunt. Ravager spirits are typically encountered as haunts, as shown above, but in strange aeons they roam the world as independent creatures.


When a ravager spirit is triggered, it immediately attempts to possess the creature that triggered it. Like any haunt, one can escape a ravager spirit by slaying the haunt or leaving the area that it has infused. If the haunt isn’t destroyed, however, a ravager-blighted zone acts as a spiritual beacon that attracts more ravager spirits within a few minutes at most, even if the current ravager-blighted zone manages to possess a creature.

If a ravager spirit possesses a creature, that creature is forced into a poor pact with it. This pact has no duration, and for this time the character gains the ravager spirit’s granted abilities, as he would any other spirit. (A character without the bind spirit class feature has a binder level equal to half its Hit Dice.) A ravager spirit cannot be expelled and it gains a +10 bonus to its caster level check DC against all exorcism attempts. A ravager spirit counts against the total number of spirits that a character can be bound to similtaneously. Each day a character remains bound to a ravager spirit, it can attempt a Will save to force the spirit from its body. The DC equals 15 + 1/2 the character’s Hit Dice. A creature takes 1d4 points of Charisma damage every day that it is bound to a ravager spirit; this damage cannot be healed until the ravager spirit is outsted from the character. If this damage reduces the character’s Charisma to 0, it gains the ravager vessel template as its spirit is permanently ejected from its body.

Ravager Spirits: Desperate Lost Souls

Ravager spirits are occult entities that hail from the fringes of reality. Whether naturally occurring or corrupt souls, these spirits are rip mortal souls asunder to taste reality once more.

Summoning Rules

The following describes the requirements and rituals for sealing pacts with ravager spirits.

Spirit Level:

Alignment: Chaotic Evil (CE)

Constellation: Starless

Binding DC: 0

Totems: A ravager spirit possesses no totems because it possesses no binding DC.

Ceremony: Draw the symbol of the ravager spirits or accidentally summon one as detailed in the summoning ravager spirits section.

Manifestation: The seal glows with black light as the ravager spirit begins wailing. The spirit manifests as a vaguely humanoid ghost that scrambles about the seal, looking for the creature that summoned it. When that creature has been discovered, the ravager spirit dives into the creature’s chest, directly into its heart, sealing the pact.

Major Granted Abilities

  • Soul Tear: As a swift action, any natural attacks and unarmed strikes that you make until the end of the turn can rend the souls of living creatures, ignoring bonuses to AC from armor and natural armor and gaining the benefits of the ghost touch weapon ability until the end of the turn. Creatures without souls (except incorporeal creatures) are immune to damage caused by natural weapons or unarmed strikes that have been augmented by this ability. After using this ability, it is expended for 5 rounds.
  • Capstone Empowerment: You can use soul tear to augment any kind of weapon, whether manufactured or natural.

Minor Granted Abilities

  • Detect Ravager Spirits: While you are bound to the spirit, you gain the ability to cast detect pact spirits† as a spelllike ability at will. In addition, you can use this ability to detect the presence or absence of ravager spirits as a spell-like ability at will, functioning as detect undead except it detects creatures with the ravager spirit subtype.
  • Evasive Maneuvers: While you are bound to the spirit, you gain evasion, as the rogue class feature. After successfully using evasion, you can move 5 feet as an immediate action. This movement doesn’t count as your 5-foot step for the round and it provokes attacks of opportunity as normal. If you possess the Cartwheel DodgeUC feat, this ability allows you to move up to your full speed when using Cartwheel Dodge instead.
  • Frenzy: You can enter a frenzy as a swift action, gaining a +4 morale bonus to your Strength, a +2 morale bonus on Will saving throws, and temporary hit points equal to your binder level. You can frenzy for a number of rounds each day equal to your binder level + your Charisma modifier; after leaving the frenzy, you are fatigued for 2 rounds per round spent frenzying. These rounds do not need to be used consecutively and ending the frenzy early is a free action. This ability is an emotion effect.
  • Ravager-Bound: While you are bound to the spirit, you gain the ravager spirit subtype and receive an insight bonus on Perception and Stealth skill checks equal to half your binder level.

Signs and Influence

The spirit affects you in the following ways:

  • Physical Sign: Your body discolors to a sickly gray and is somewhat malleable to the touch, like clay. Whenever you activate one of the spirit’s granted abilities, you unleash an unearthly shriek in an inhuman tongue.
  • Personality Influence: You lack the ability to focus and become easily spooked. You must indulge yourself in all of life’s sinful, carnal pleasures at every opportunity.
  • Favored Ally: None; creatures with souls are prey and any without them are competition.
  • Favored Enemy: Any (creatures with souls)

Vestigial Companion (Boon)

You bellow an unearthly wail that can be heard up to 2 miles away in typical outdoor conditions. Creatures with the ravager subtype spirit are attracted to this sound and move at full speed towards its source. Such creatures begin with a helpful starting attitude towards you. This granted ability replaces detect ravager spirit†.

This website uses cookies. See the Legal & OGL page for important information. Any material NOT covered by the Open Game License Version 1.0a is covered by the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.