Rhan-Tegoth

Rhan-Tegoth

CR 20; XP 307,200
CE Great Old One of hibernation, immortality, and ruin
Primary Source H. P. Lovecraft and Hazel Heald, “The Horror in the Museum”

Cult

Domains Chaos, Evil, Repose, Void
Subdomains Ancestors, Dark Tapestry, Entropy, Stars
Favored Weapon sickle
Symbol three black stars
Temple caverns, museums, private collections
Worshipers deranged antiquarians and historians, doomsayers, explorers
Servitors dimensional shamblers, gugs

Influence Stage 1 (DC 27)

Area 200-ft. radius
Proxy avatar of Rhan-Tegoth
Effects warp
Escalation If Rhan-Tegoth uses its consume ability to feed every day for a month, and if its worshipers perform the proper rites and incantations within the area of its influence daily, there’s a 1% chance its influence escalates to stage 2. This chance is cumulative with each month these conditions persist—a 2% chance to escalate after 2 months, 3% after 3 months, and so on.

Influence Stage 2 (DC 29)

CR 23, XP 819,200
Area 1-mile radius
Proxy avatar of Rhan-Tegoth
Effects bolster Rhan-Tegoth, warp
Escalation If Rhan-Tegoth uses its consume ability to feed every day for a month, and if its worshipers perform the proper rites and incantations within the area of its influence daily, there’s a 3% chance its influence escalates to stage 3. This chance is cumulative with each month these conditions persist—a 6% chance to escalate after 2 months, 9% after 3 months, and so on.

Influence Stage 3 (DC 31)

CR 26; XP 2,457,600
Area 10-mile radius
Proxy avatar of Rhan-Tegoth
Effects bolster Rhan-Tegoth, warp
Escalation If Rhan-Tegoth uses its consume ability to feed every day for a month, and if its worshipers perform the proper rites and incantations within the area of its influence daily, there’s a 5% chance its influence escalates to stage 3. This chance is cumulative with each month these conditions persist—a 10 % chance to escalate after 2 months, 15% after 3 months, and so on.

Influence Stage 4 (DC 34)

CR 29, XP 6,553,600
Area 100-mile radius
Proxy avatar of Rhan-Tegoth
Effects bolster Rhan-Tegoth, end times, warp

Defeat

Combat If Rhan-Tegoth’s avatar is defeated and forced into hibernation, its current influence stage is reduced by one.

Starvation Every month that passes during which Rhan-Tegoth’s avatar is not fed and its cultists do not perform the proper rituals within its area of influence every day, there’s a chance its influence stage degrades. This chance is equal to 3% per day that feeding and rituals did not both occur during that month. Thus, if Rhan-Tegoth goes without feeding and ritual for a full 30 days, there’s a 90% chance at the end of that 30-day month that its influence degrades one stage.

Influence Effects

Bolster Rhan-Tegoth The avatar of Rhan-Tegoth becomes more powerful as its influence grows. At stage 1, the avatar’s stats are as presented below, but at higher escalations, it gains the following bonuses (these bonuses do not stack with those granted by earlier influence stages).

Influence Stage 2: Rhan-Tegoth gains 60 bonus hit points and increases its Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma scores by +4. Its pincers now do a base of 2d6 points of damage each.

Influence Stage 3: Rhan-Tegoth gains 140 bonus hit points and increases its Strength, Dexterity Constitution, and Charisma scores by +8. Its pincers now do a base of 3d6 points of damage each.

Influence Stage 4: Rhan-Tegoth gains 230 bonus hit points and increases its Strength, Dexterity Constitution, and Charisma scores by +12. Its pincers now do a base of 4d6 points of damage each.

End Times At the end of every month during which Rhan-Tegoth has fed daily and the proper rituals have been performed by cultists within the area of influence, there’s a cumulative 10% chance per month that Rhan-Tegoth transforms into a permanent warping of reality. This destroys Rhan-Tegoth’s avatar but expands its influence’s area to cover the entire world. Once this occurs, its influence can never be reduced and the effects of its stage four warp are now a permanent and global reality for that world.

Warp As Rhan-Tegoth grows in power, its influence begins to warp reality with regard to itself, its cultists, its enemies, and the nature of time and space. The effects of its warp are summarized below.

Influence Stage 1: All attack rolls directed at Rhan-Tegoth suffer a –1 penalty, and the save DCs of any effects that affect it are reduced by 1. Worshipers and minions of Rhan-Tegoth gain a +2 bonus on all Perception checks.

Influence Stage 2: All attack rolls directed at Rhan-Tegoth suffer a –2 penalty, and the save DCs of any effects that affect it are reduced by 2. All energy damage in the area of influence is reduced by 10 points (this can never reduce the damage to less than half of what the dice indicated, however). Worshipers and minions of Rhan-Tegoth gain a +4 bonus on all Perception checks and gain the see in darkness universal monster ability. All other creatures begin to catch glimpses of the true nature of reality and suffer a –2 penalty on Perception checks from the strange, hallucinatory distractions. Any other Elder Influence that wholly or partially overlaps with Rhan-Tegoth’s influence has its save DC increased by +2.

Influence Stage 3: All attack rolls directed at Rhan-Tegoth suffer a –4 penalty, and the save DCs of any effects that affect it are reduced by 4. All energy damage in the area of influence is halved. Worshipers and minions of Rhan-Tegoth gain a +6 bonus on all Perception checks, the see in darkness universal monster ability, and constant see invisibility, as the spell. All other creatures begin to catch glimpses of the true nature of reality and suffer a –2 penalty on Perception checks and Will saving throws from the strange, hallucinatory distractions. Any other Elder Influence that wholly or partially overlaps with Rhan- Tegoth’s influence has its save DC increased by +4. As long as Rhan-Tegoth’s influence stage remains at stage 3 or higher, any other Elder Influence that wholly or partially overlaps with its influence can never be reduced below stage 1.

Influence Stage 4: All attack rolls directed at Rhan-Tegoth suffer a –6 penalty, and the save DCs of any effects that affect it are reduced by 6. All energy damage in the area of influence is reduced to minimum possible (for example, a fireball that normally deals 10d6 points of damage would only do 10 points of damage in this area). Worshipers and minions of Rhan-Tegoth gain a +6 bonus on all Perception checks, the see in darkness universal monster ability, constant see invisibility, as the spell, and the ability to see through solid objects as if constantly wearing a ring of x-ray vision. All other creatures begin to catch glimpses of the true nature of reality and suffer a –4 penalty on Perception checks and Will saving throws from the strange, hallucinatory distractions. Any other Elder Influence that wholly or partially overlaps with Rhan-Tegoth’s influence has its save DC increased by +6. As long as Rhan-Tegoth’s influence stage remains at stage 3 or higher, any other Elder Influence that wholly or partially overlaps with its influence can never be reduced.


Avatar of Rhan-Tegoth (CR 20)

XP 307,200
CE Huge aberration
Init +14; Senses blindsight 60 ft., darkvision 360 ft., true seeing; Perception +32

Defense

AC 36, touch 18, flat-footed 26 (+10 Dex, +18 natural, –2 size)
hp 370 (20d8+280); fast healing 20
Fort +20, Ref +18, Will +23
Defensive Abilities growth, hibernation, slime; Immune ability damage, ability drain, aging, cold, death effects, disease, energy drain, mind-affecting effects, paralysis, petrification, poison; Resist electricity 30; SR 31

Offense

Speed 60 ft., air walk
Melee 6 pincers +29 (1d8+15/19–20 plus grab)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks consume

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 20th; concentration +27)
Constant—air walk, true seeing
At will—confusion (DC 21), dimension door, greater dispel magic, nightmare (DC 22), statue
3/day—demand (DC 25), quickened feeblemind (DC 22), flesh to stone (DC 23)
1/day—gate, symbol of insanity (DC 25), temporal stasis (DC 25)

Statistics

Str 40, Dex 31, Con 38, Int 21, Wis 28, Cha 25
Base Atk +15; CMB +32 (+36 grapple); CMD 52 (60 vs. trip)
Feats Combat Reflexes, Critical Focus, Improved Critical (pincers), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (feeblemind), Staggering Critical, Weapon Focus (pincers)
Skills Knowledge (arcana) +25, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +25, Knowledge (geography) +25, Knowledge (planes) +28, Knowledge (religion) +25, Perception +32, Sense Motive +29, Spellcraft +28, Stealth +25
Languages Aklo
SQ no breath

Special Abilities

Consume (Su) Once per round as a free action when it successfully grapples a foe, Rhan-Tegoth may drag that foe’s body to the mass of feeding tentacles and palps dangling from the Great Old One’s head. These feeding tentacles inflict 2 points of ability drain to each of the victim’s ability scores and nauseate the victim for 1 round. Each time Rhan-Tegoth consumes a victim in this way, it gains a number of temporary hit points equal to the victim’s total HD. A successful DC 27 Will save negates the nauseated condition. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Growth (Ex) Temporary hit points gained by Rhan-Tegoth’s consume and slime abilities stack. They persist for up to 24 hours if not lost before this point.

Hibernation (Ex) When Rhan-Tegoth uses its statue spell-like ability, it can maintain the duration as long as it wants. If Rhan-Tegoth’s avatar is slain, instead of dying it automatically activates its statue spell-like ability and becomes entirely immune to additional damage. After 2d100 months have passed (or sooner, if certain eldritch rituals are performed in the statue’s presence), offering flesh and blood to the statue causes Rhan-Tegoth to resume its living avatar form at full hit points.

Slime (Ex) The slime that coats Rhan-Tegoth can absorb magical spells that target it directly. If such a spell fails to overcome its spell resistance, the spell is harmlessly absorbed, granting Rhan-Tegoth a number of temporary hit points equal to twice the spell’s level.


Rhan-Tegoth is a cosmic monstrosity, a lesser Great Old One born of a whole species of similar terrors. It and its kind move from planet to planet seeking sources of food. It is clearly a prominent spawn of the same misbegotten branch of evolution that gave rise to the fungi from Yuggoth—its crustacean-jellyfish form attests to that. It is amphibious, and does not seem to be affected by extremes of temperature or weather.

Hibernation

When Rhan-Tegoth is kept from feeding, it enters into a state of hibernation, in which it can survive for millions of years. In such a state, its immobility and solidity often lead viewers to assume it is just a statue. However, when food and the proper vociferous rites are provided, Rhan-Tegoth awakens to feed once more. Unlike many Great Old Ones, Rhan-Tegoth does not care whether its prey is sentient: it values quantity over quality in nourishment.

Rhan-Tegoth’s Secret

Feeding Rhan-Tegoth leads to a deadly result: as it feeds, it grows stronger, and it begins to warp the structure of time and space around itself. This affects itself, those nearby, and the fabric of the universe.

As it grows more powerful, Rhan-Tegoth becomes more and more difficult to damage. Missiles discharged at it have their mass and velocity reduced to impotence.

Spells directed toward it find their effects radically weakened. This reality-warping effect grows over time: at first it seems comparatively minor and Rhan-Tegoth can be attacked almost by normal means, but as it feeds, it grows frighteningly stronger and reality makes less and less sense in its proximity.

All those around Rhan-Tegoth find the universe changing to affect their perceptions. Rhan-Tegoth’s cultists gain the ability to see beyond the normal planes of existence, allowing them to detect intruders through walls and earth. Rhan-Tegoth uses its gate spell-like ability to reach into other planes and summon forth monstrous defenders, such as dimensional shamblers or gugs.

Unfortunately, this effect also occurs for Rhan-Tegoth’s mortal enemies. They, too, see beyond the normal realm, but this is a curse and a terror for them, and these visions can lead to madness or delirium (they are a source of dread).

Ultimately, Rhan-Tegoth begins to open an interdimensional gate to the otherworld, which makes it disastrously easy for other Great Old Ones and Outer Gods to grow their influence and ravage the world. Rhan-Tegoth's goal is to be able to maintain its warp connection indefinitely, at which time Rhan-Tegoth itself ceases to be and essentially becomes the Gate and the Way. At this point, the world is doomed and all is lost. The only hope is to destroy Rhan-Tegoth before it succeeds (even while in the process of the final change) or, more simply, to starve it so that it reverts to its hibernation form.

Rhan-Tegoth in Combat

In combat, Rhan-Tegoth's six pincer-tipped tentacles can each strike independently. When a victim is grabbed firmly by one of the claws, it is dragged to the mass of feeding tentacles and palps dangling from Rhan-Tegoth’s head, and the horror begins to feed by draining the victim of body fluids. A victim freed from Rhan-Tegoth’s grip can slowly recover from the damage over time, but the scars and welts are permanent. Between Rhan-Tegoth's many ways of draining strength from its foes, its thick shell, and its protective slime (which reduces or eliminates damage from magic), it is very difficult to harm effectively.


This website uses cookies. See the Legal & OGL page for important information. Any material NOT covered by the Open Game License Version 1.0a is covered by the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.